PRESS RELEASE: KZNPride, Durban
This is to inform all of the establishment of a new Pride organisation called KZNPride that was established at a Special General Meeting in Pietermaritzburg on the 23 October 2018.
The vision of KZNPride is to strive to be a representative body of the LGBTI+ community of KwaZulu-Natal. We also seek to standardize Pride of KZN by supporting annual PrideFest events throughout the KwaZulu-Natal region.
The mission of KZNPride is to provide a safe, supportive environment. The KZNPride LGBTQ+ strive to provide services, professional resources and programs that unite the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning community across lines of age, race, gender, and economics. Our purpose is to strengthen, support, and celebrate LGBTQ+ individuals, families, and groups in their efforts to achieve their fullest potential.
KZNPride strives for positive social change through advocacy, community education, cultural awareness and wellness programs that assist in the creation, development and growth of LGBTQ+ affirming organizations, institutions and cultures within the community at large.
KZNPride is registered as a Non-Profit Company (NPC) Registration number: 20184397750. It forms a supporting umbrella in KwaZulu-Natal to promote a totally inclusive Pride that stands against discrimination and violence towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex (LGBTI+) people. We seek to affirm those of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression by increasing visibility of LGBTI people within our communities, by building partnerships and collaborations that celebrate sexual diversity and gender variance. We support and promote initiatives targeting the KZN LGBTI community that include:
- General events, such as entertainment & nightlife within the KZN area.
- Monthly support and social groups especially targeted at Gay, Lesbian and Transgender persons. Free or affordable counselling for bullied and transgender individuals.
- Promote general awareness of LGBTI issues around KZN
- Provide resources within the KZN Region.
- Encourage networking between LGBTI groups and LGBTI allies
- Addressing and awareness of bulling in schools.
There will be an official launch of KZNPride in 2019 and more announcements will be made in due course.
The founding members of KZNPride are:
- Anthony Waldhausen, director of the Gay and Lesbian Network
- Kim Lithgow, director of Same Love Toti
- Ezra Steenkamp, businessperson from Durban